Tuesday, September 17, 2013


Like my blog title says I am an illustrator - my work can be seen at www.monicaminto.com. This is a slight deviation from my illustration work but I actually love working with a needle and thread almost as much as with a pen and ink. My two little granddaughters ages 3 and 2 are learning to sit quietly in church and there is another waiting in the wings who is age 3 months, so my daughter has been talking about needing a Quiet Book. I did a few hours of looking around online and found these are quite popular. There are so many ideas out there, ranging from simple fast done projects to intricately pieced and interactive pages. I plan to do most of my book using hand sewing and I will cite the placed I have used for my ideas to give them credit. When I come up with an original idea I may post free patterns to help anyone else making a quiet book.
I am looking forward to this project :)
I finished the first two pages except the grommets for the rings to go through. These are based on an idea my daughter is using already of a tiny notebook with one small sheet of simple stickers and one crayon. To prevent the crayon from getting away I hot glued the ribbon to the crayon and sewed the other end to the edge of the pocket. My daughter wanted to attach as many pieces with this method as possible so she doesn't have to continually pick up fallen things during the sermon.
The purpose of the book is to keep the child quiet when very young and learning to have the discipline of sitting still and listening.  So I am going to try not to have pages that tend to very involved imaginative play but simple activities to promote sitting still. I also will probably use Bible themes for some of the pages.
I plan to make many different pages. My daughter will keep them in a removable cover (which I will make after I have a few pages finished) when getting ready for Sunday church she will pick a few pages for each child, this way one book will work for several children at the same time. I may design smaller covers for each child or some way to carry them without pieces falling out.
So the fun begins. . .more to come!
sites where some of my ideas came from







2 comments:

  1. hi, My daughter wants to make a quiet book for her little cousins, how would you suggest she start? her sewing skills are... very basic, but she has patience and creativity. we need to know how to create the basic cover and blank pages, as well as what stitches etc work best for different pages. your book looks like it is the most functional of all the ones I've seen online. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Pinterest and search for quiet books - here's a link to my pages -

    http://www.pinterest.com/monimint/quiet-book-and-ideas-for-children/

    take from here and there and design your own book to fit the child. There are some
    ideas for a non sewing person even - hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete